Sunday, October 31, 2010

Falling Behind, Part I

You'd think we were still using water clocks. People like decapitated statues, another way to save face, taking agitated steps. Ancient Roman excuses in Modern Roman setting. There is no sense of being late. You get there when you get there.

Daylight Saving Time has officially ended in Rome and I gained an hour this morning without notice. An old friend I had been chatting with had said, "I should go to bed. It's 20 to 4 here." I thought how impossible this was, adding six hours to his time and thinking he had read the clock wrong. My landlady informed me of the change a few minutes ago. In the States we don't fall behind for another week. (We're behind in falling behind.) I wondered what this meant for my roommate. She left early this morning to catch a 9 a.m. train to Pompeii. Maybe her phone changed the time automatically the way mine did, but what about the other girls? And why didn't our program inform us that the time would be changing, especially considering we have mock exams the Tuesday we come back to school? I keep saying, "I'm not even surprised."

I suppose it's fitting here, too.

No comments :

Post a Comment